Make your e-newsletter a member must-read
For most associations, the e-newsletter is the most important channel for reaching members proactively. Members who open and read your e-newsletters are more likely to take the classes you offer, participate in your political efforts, share the information you create, and attend your events.
Most associations have an average open rate of 32 to 36 percent and an average click rate of 21 percent, according to the Email Marketing Benchmark study by Informz. If your numbers are lower—or if you don’t know what your rates are—take these specific steps to improve your e-newsletter.
- Use short, enticing, and specific subject lines.
- Send using a professional service such as Mailchimp or Constant Contact, versus using Outlook.
- Include summaries that lead readers to your website.
- Figure out what topics and headline types work best, and follow those.
- Experiment with timing, and send at the most successful time.
- Balance industry information/news and information about association programs.
- Avoid words flagged by spam filters.
These tips are from an article I wrote in 2013 for Realtor Association Executive magazine. The information is even more relevant today than they were then.
Read the complete article on realtor.org. If you have any tips to add, please share them in the comments below.
And if you’d like help improving your e-newsletter, please feel free to get in touch!